The weather’s getting steadily cooler, meaning it’s time for me to shift into “comfort food high gear”. And what better comfort food is there than soup? I remember coming in from cold days outside and Mom would have a big cookpot of homemade ground beef and vegetable soup waiting on the stove, ready to warm us up.
This soup was originally described as a “crockpot potato soup” but as I got into the recipe it really wasn’t just that. There’s almost as much ham as there is potato in it, and while the title mentions cheese it really fills in the flavor so much that I couldn’t leave it out of the name. So, I decided to change the name just a bit. I made a few slight adjustments to the original ingredient list, which I’ll explain in the notes on the recipe card, but all in all this is an excellent soup that takes very little effort to make and is filled with that comforting goodness that takes me back to a simpler time. Hopefully it will take you and your family back a bit too.
Adapted from On My Kid’s Plate
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato and Ham Soup
An instantly classic soup to warm the coldest noses and toes on a chilly day.
Adapted from On My Kid's Plate
Cube potatoes, ham, and carrots into 1/2-inch pieces. In a 6-quart slow cooker, add potatoes, ham, carrots, corn, onion, bacon, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook on High for 3-4 hours or Low for 6-7 hours. Check for doneness by piercing the potatoes with a fork; if done the fork should easily pass through the potato.
Measure 1/2 cup of milk into a small bowl and add the cornstarch, stirring to make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the slow cooker and mix thoroughly; the sauce will begin to thicken. Add the remaining milk and stir. Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring to mix it in.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on High for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately, garnishing as desired (see notes).
Serving Size 2 cups
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 393kcal
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 24g37%
- Saturated Fat 12.5g63%
- Cholesterol 87mg29%
- Sodium 1630mg68%
- Potassium 607mg18%
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2g7%
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g9%
- Sugars 5.7g
- Protein 28.1g57%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- The original recipe is called "Crockpot Potato Soup (Cheesy!). Given there is almost as much ham and cheese as there is potato, I changed the name slightly to recognize these ingredients.
- The original recipe uses 4 cups of corn; I reduced it to 2.
- Yellow potatoes (such as Yukon Gold) do not soften as much when cooked. Softer potatoes such as Russet can be used, but they tend to break down more and make the soup thicker.
- Suggested adds/changes from the original recipe (copied here for convenience):
- The corn can be replaced with other vegetables such as celery or peas, or the amount of carrots or potatoes can be increased instead
- Shredded hash browns can be used in place of the potatoes
- The bacon can be cooked before putting in the slow cooker to give it a different texture
- Garnish ideas:
- crumbled cooked bacon
- parsley flakes
- grated cheese
- sliced green onion
- sour cream
- Serving suggestion: Add a grilled cheese sandwich on the side or some soft dinner rolls