There are many ways to make nachos, from simply pouring melted cheese over tortilla chips like you’d find at a movie theater or ball game, to more elaborate combinations of meat, salsa, cheese, veggies, and the list goes on. This recipe is for one of those more elaborate combinations where everything is just piled on, “loading” down the tortilla chips to the point of breaking.
There are many different variations for “loaded” nachos, and even this version has changes from the original that is linked below. I’ve also included several suggestions for “changing things up” in the notes at the bottom of the recipe card. The bottom line is, put in things you like and take out things you don’t, and make it your own.
This recipe also uses “sheet baking” where everything is placed on a baking sheet and cooked in the oven. It makes a large amount of nachos, which is perfect for party appetizers to feed a crowd.
Adapted from Number 2 Pencil
Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos
A delicious version of the Tex-Mex favorite, with plenty of room for customizing to suit anyone's taste. This makes enough for a small crowd, perfect as a party appetizer or even a light meal.
Adapted from Number 2 Pencil
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a skillet, brown the ground beef over medium-high heat, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks. Drain off any excess grease, then add taco seasoning and water. Cook 2-3 minutes to blend in the seasoning, then add the salsa and reduce heat. Cook another 2-4 minutes to warm the salsa, then remove from heat.
To assemble, place 1/2 of the tortilla chips in a single layer on the baking sheet. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the black beans, 1/2 of the corn, 1/2 of the olives, and 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Repeat with the remaining chips, meat, beans, corn, olives, and cheese sauce. Top with the shredded cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the shredded cheese has melted. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 526kcal
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 26g40%
- Saturated Fat 9g45%
- Cholesterol 65mg22%
- Sodium 1429mg60%
- Potassium 572mg17%
- Total Carbohydrate 48g16%
- Dietary Fiber 8g32%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 24g48%
- Calcium 20 mg
- Iron 21 mg
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Note: The recipe photo shows all of the olives on top of the nachos, but the instructions are to use 1/2 of the olives on each layer.
- There are numerous ways to customize the ingredients:
- Substitute chicken or turkey for the ground beef, or omit completely for a meatless dish
- Mild or hot taco seasoning
- Mild, medium, or hot salsa
- Substitute sliced cherry tomatoes for the salsa
- Substitute Ro*Tel for the salsa
- Substitute refried beans for the black beans
- Omit the beans or corn
- Add sliced/chopped jalapenos
- Substitute shredded cheese for the cheese sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced jalapenos
- Sour cream
- Salsa (if not already mixed in)
- Sliced cilantro or green onions
- Chipotle ranch dressing
- Avocado ranch dressing